Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 09:24:38 -0400
From: "Liam Randall" <Liam.Randall@...aco.com>
To: "Ryan Sears" <rdsears@....edu>,
	"full-disclosure" <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Lastpass Security Issue

Ryan,

The blog post indicates severe security lapses; for example:

Why did the asterisks server have connectivity to the db?  If there was
some kind of mashup I would expect it to have limited connectivity but
I'm not aware of anything like that.

If these guys are in the business of security they need to go beyond
best practices- take PCI DSS for example; one of the first steps is to
limit the Cardholder Data Environment.  Different routed and filtered
subnets with internal firewalls.  I've got a million other suggestions,
but w/o further research or information it would be just guessing.

Where there is smoke...

That being said, lapses happen all the time.  I think they are handling
it the right way and being over cautious- no one wants to get the
notification of a compromise the other way.  I sincerely hope they use
this an opportunity to review their entire security lifecycle.

Policy --> Procedure --> Control --> Audit-->Refinement

In a different regulatory environment they'd have to follow specific
security regimens and audit frequencies with statistically relevant
samples.

I'm sure the entire team over there is putting in 110%; good luck guys.

Liam