Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 17:03:57 +0200
From: phocean <0x90@...cean.net>
To: <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Sony: No firewall and no patches

 Thanks this useful sum-up for the discussion.

 I have a few comments though:

  - DDoS : anyway, a firewall isn't more susceptible to DoS than the
 server it protects. If you look at the hardware performance of modern
 firewalls, if an attacker has the ability to DoS it, then only a
 considerable server farm that very few companies can afford will be able
 to sustain it. So I think this can't be counted as a negative point,
 even if in theory it has less performance than stateless.
  - SPoF : there are clusters (active/active or active/passive) for
 firewalls as well as for server.
  - stateless scales badly on large networks, because it requires much
 more complex and lengthy rules if you are serious with security.

 Another advantage of stateful is that there is a first sanity check of
 the sessions on a specialized hardware rather than on a generic TCP/IP
 stack of a bloated server OS.
 For instance, the network stack of Windows is probably much more prone
 to bug/crash due to poor handling of crafted packets than a dedicated
 firewall (Checkpoint, Cisco, Fortinet...) may be.