Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 00:27:29 +0530
From: yati sagade <yati.sagade@...il.com>
To: Mitja Kolsek <mitja.kolsek@...os.si>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: COM Server-Based Binary Planting
	ProofOfConcept

Hi,
Nice revelations here. what we need to understand here is that the majority
of Windows users there *will* fall for the remote exploit because of their
inherent casualness(some actually think that 7 is the nicest OS ever made).
I appreciate the efforts taken in finding these exploits, especially on such
a closed, undocumented system. Additionally , thanks for those amusing
tricks with special folders.

keep up the good job.

regards,

yati

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 9:51 PM, Mitja Kolsek <mitja.kolsek@...os.si> wrote:

> Thor, the "Online Proof of Concept" section of the blog post points you to
> a *remote*
> exploit (without any warning) but let me repeat the link here:
>
> http://www.binaryplanting.com/demo/XP_2-click/test.html
>
> Visit this with IE8 on 32-bit Windows XP.
>
> Please find further information here:
>

> http://blog.acrossecurity.com/2011/05/anatomy-of-com-server-based-binary.html
>
> http://blog.acrossecurity.com/2011/05/silently-pwning-protected-mode-ie9-and.html
>
> In general there are two types of remote binary planting exploits: SMB and
> WebDAV.
> The former works inside (local) networks where firewalls block outbound SMB
> traffic.
> WebDAV attacks work through firewalls too since many firewalls allow
> outbound WebDAV
> traffic and Windows silently fall back to WebDAV if SMB doesn't work. If
> our online
> remote exploit doesn't work for you, you can download the PoC locally and
> test it in
> your local network.
>
> I'll be happy to explain it to you further if need be.
>
> Thanks,
> Mitja

Content of type "text/html" skipped