Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 11:13:50 +0200
From: "HI-TECH ." <isowarez.isowarez.isowarez@...glemail.com>
To: Moritz Naumann <security@...itz-naumann.com>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Php gif upload thumbnail creation remote
	exploit

Moritz,
I understand your point here. I posted the description of the technique,
because it is a threat actually. You describe that if the appropriate
defensive configuration is in place the technique won't work.
But this can be applied everywhere, it's like saying when you want to defend
against OS level vulnerabilities and local root exploitation you have to install
grsec. Not every admin does that. I see gif uploading with embedded php code
as a real threat and I see it from an attackers perspective. What you do is
looking at the threat from a defense perspective and how to ensure this
kind of attack to fail. In any way looking at real environments this kind
of attack WILL succeed, not everywhere sure but thats thats not what I
was stating
in the advisory.

-kc