Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 02:02:17 +0300
From: Sabahattin Gucukoglu <mail@...ahattin-gucukoglu.com>
To: Tony Oller <tonyrobertoller@...il.com>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Why Block Mail-archive.com?

On 2 Aug 2011, at 22:02, Tony Oller wrote:
On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 03:12:56 +0300
> Sabahattin Gucukoglu <mail@...ahattin-gucukoglu.com> wrote:
>> What have mail-archive.com done to you that you must block them in
>> DNS, by setting up an empty authority zone for it?
> There is plenty of material on mail-archive.com that is offensive to
> various interests in Turkey.  Google any issue considered contentious
> in Turkey with site:mail-archive.com and you'll find plenty of
> content.

Right, politics and religion, just as I suspected.  The mouthpiece for much of it seems to be wholly unrepresentative of the people I know, as usual.

>  http://www.mail-archive.com/pnews-l@yahoogroups.com/msg00205.html
>  http://www.mail-archive.com/proletar@yahoogroups.com/msg23515.html
>  http://www.mail-archive.com/osint@yahoogroups.com/msg74437.html
>  http://www.mail-archive.com/osint@yahoogroups.com/msg70438.html
>
> You may even approve of the block by the time you're done :)

There's a lot of highly dubious crap in there, but none of it is about repression or obviously religious acts of violence.  As such, I wish I could say I agreed, but I don't and can't and never will.  From my point of view it's just two equally stupid groups of people on either side fighting over the veracity of issues that just aren't important to human beings.  Meantime, mail-archive.com is in my hosts file, so I can get on with following my perfectly non-violent, non-religious, non-political mailing lists. :-(

>> Yes, using another DNS server works, only it turns out there's no UI
>> on the iPhone to change the DNS servers used while on 3G.  Bloody
>> thing.
> That's Apple of late - no user serviceable parts inside, and warranty
> void if the sticky bit is removed.

Yup.  It turns out that the problem goes away if you don't use their custom USB tethering interface and use PAN or wifi instead.  But that's too much trouble, and I'm not messing around with the configd database either, so I'm just adding the site (www, not plain domain) to the hosts file.

FD, because now everyone knows why they can't follow their favourite mailing lists while on holiday in Turkey. :-)

Cheers,
Sabahattin