Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2011 03:03:13 +0200
From: Mario Vilas <mvilas@...il.com>
To: Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu
Cc: "full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk" <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Cybsec Advisory 2011 0901 Windows Script Host
 DLL Hijacking

I disagree. If this so called "vulnerability" had any added value in terms
of social engineering, it would actually make sense to report it. Social
engineering isn't "bad", I really don't care how "leet" it is. My claim is
simpler: this advisory makes no sense at all, because it replaces an easy
way of exploitation for a hard way of exploitation, so its added value is
actually *negative* for the attacker.

Most likely whoever found this is new in the infosec world and never stopped
to consider this details - he/she just blindly repeated what the dll
injection crowd was doing and posted whatever results were found, without
understanding really well what was going on.

And THAT is the state of infosec today. People who report stuff for the sake
of reporting, without really understanding how things work or why.

--
“There's a reason we separate military and the police: one fights the enemy
of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military

Content of type "text/html" skipped