Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 21:07:38 +0300
From: "MustLive" <mustlive@...security.com.ua>
To: <submissions@...ketstormsecurity.org>, <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Security bypass vulnerability in MyBB

Hello list!

I want to warn you about security bypass vulnerability in MyBB, which allows
to bypass protection against Brute Force and conduct Brute Force attacks.

In August in my article Bypassing captchas and blocking at web sites
(http://websecurity.com.ua/5334/) I wrote about vulnerability in MyBB - as
an example of such attacks (because it was good example for the article).
Which I'll described briefly in this advisory.

In April I've disclosed Brute Force vulnerability in MyBB
(http://lists.grok.org.uk/pipermail/full-disclosure/2011-April/080408.html),
where it's was possible to bypass captcha in login form by using of session
reusing with constant captcha bypass method. The developers ignored to fix
this and other vulnerabilities (in released MyBB 1.6.3). For this reason,
I've not wasted my time to inform the developers about new BF vulnerability
in their software. In any case I've already mentioned about such protection
mechanisms and their bypass last year in publications at my site, including
in my article
(http://lists.webappsec.org/pipermail/websecurity_lists.webappsec.org/2010-August/007003.html).

-------------------------
Affected products:
-------------------------

Vulnerable are all versions of MyBB (MyBB 1.6.4 and previous versions), when
non-captcha method of protection against Brute Force attacks is used at
forum. Concerning bypassing captcha in login form I've already wrote in
above-mentioned advisory about MyBB.

----------
Details:
----------

Brute Force (WASC-11):

As I found in August, developers set by default other protection method in
new versions MyBB 1.6.3 and 1.6.4 (which also exists in previous versions of
engine and is using at most forums on MyBB). This method uses limit of login
attempts instead of captcha, but this protection can be easily bypassed by
using of my method described in the article.

If to not receive cookies (or delete or null cookie loginattempts), then the
number of login attempts will be unlimited. And any blockings will fail. And
if it has already worked, then it's just needed to delete or null this
cookie to remove blocking.

This situation has place on most forums on MyBB, but there are such forums
on such versions of engine, which hold counter of login attempts not in
cookie loginattempts, but in session. Then for bypassing of protection it's
just needed to delete cookie sid.

Best wishes & regards,
MustLive
Administrator of Websecurity web site