Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 19:38:15 +0000
From: "Hartley, Christopher" <hartley.87@....edu>
To: James Wright <jamfwright@...il.com>
Cc: "<full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>" <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Verizon Wireless DNS Tunneling

I would think that at minimum, thresholds could be set on how many names to resolve, and permitted types for unauthenticated users.  Prohibit NULL and TXT records for unauthenticated hosts - or just whitelist A and CNAMEs, reject others.  Reject the 50th (or whatever) query from an unauthenticated host/user... I don't think NACs are using DNS tricks in the main anymore anyway.  They shouldn't be...  there are much better ways.

That said, I'm happy for this condition to exist permanently so long as I'm not responsible for the traffic.