Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 20:54:49 -0400
From: mutiny <mutiny@...inbeardsucks.com>
To: secn3t@...il.com
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Facebook Attach EXE Vulnerability

The main thing is that the security division at facebook probably runs
the bug hunting page (as with everywhere else, which does make a decent
bit of sense).  And, if you spot bugs before they do, then that looks
bad on them (internally at the company and externally to the world).
So, it is not in their interest to openly acknowledge your bugs,
especially by paying you cash money (not to mention, accounting is going
to hate them if they see bucks leaving the company for any reason,
instead of coming in).  Not to forget, it is in their interest to
downplay your bug to the rest of the company and the world (for those
same reasons).

If you're doing research /for your own interest/, I recommend
maintaining full-disclosure.  Embrace the bazaar and burn down the
cathedral.

If you're interested in making money, the smart route is through script
kiddies or whoever (but realize, you'll probably need to go ahead and
write a reliable exploit, to see any real cash).  Script kiddies (and
agents of various governments) often have tons of money to throw around
to either bolster their own image (and eventually get arrested) or make
money from your bug (especially if you're providing a reliable
exploit).  Not to mention, the actual damage that will be caused by the
majority of these "black hats" is nothing compared to what those
companies are going to have done, before they eventually crash.

You could also monetize your security research by taking an
administration, research or QA position.  But, too often, you're only
ensuring that you'll never be interested in any of the work that crosses
your desk, ever again.

You'll laugh, if you ever end up taking a "real job" doing security
research, when you see heads getting butted between research teams and
QA teams.  Most security companies, for example, do not look at their
own products (imagine at HP, QA teams for various products would be
screaming their heads off at Tipping Point, if they went bug hunting in
HP products - often when it's publicly disclosed, those research teams
will *still* stay away from it, so the QA teams can tackle it and avoid
the headache).

It often feels like the first person to market a firewall/IDS/IPS/etc..
pulled off the greatest exploitation, of a security vulnerability (and
the most common/reliable vulnerability, social engineering), of all time.

In short, what your father didn't tell you is: If you're trying to make
money, by doing *independent* security research, *shop around* for a
buyer.  (Describe the impact to the buyer, to receive a bid, before
releasing anything beyond generic details.  If they do not make a
serious bid, take your ball and go home.  If you have the right friends,
or enough spare money, involve a lawyer.)

And, most importantly, forget what any of these cunts try to tell you
about morals or ethics.  They're only pushing their point-of-view on
you.  It's best to, at least, consider all of the view points and make a
decision on what works for you/matters to you/etc...  None of these
people, including myself, can tell you what is morally or ethically
wrong.  And, don't let them heap shame on you, ever.

Releasing a remote root/system vulnerability (even if you include a
reliable exploit) to full-disclosure, conspiring with a
company/individual to keep secrets for X amount of time and selling an
exploit to an anonymous bidder should add no more weight to your
shoulders than you already carry.  Just be sure that *you* are happy
with your decision.

  - sedition