Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 15:29:13 +0200
From: mitchell <mitchell@....bg>
To: Lucio Crusca <lucio@...web.org>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: one of my servers has been compromized

Hi,

Here is what you generally need to do in such cases.
1. Suspend the webapp until you investigate.
2. Check the web server logs for unusual entries and identify the entry
point. You should have noticed the timestamp of the Perl script in the /tmp
directory. Try looking for entries around this timestamp. Usually, the
timestamp would be your starting point. The files created in the /tmp/.m
directory were most probably put there via an HTTP request.
3. Find all locations writable by www-data.
4. Touch a file with a timestamp = the date of the incident.
5. Find all files -newer than the file you `touch`-ed in the locations
writable by www-data.
6. Identify any malicious files in the returned listing.
7. Stat the malicious files and log the data.
8. Quarantine / remove the malicious file(s).
 9. *Patch* the Web application.
10. Check the application code for other vulnerabilities.
11. Allow access to the Webapp.
12. Check for updates for the application regularly and apply fixes for any
security issues if full upgrade is not possible.

Unless you patch the application, the issue will most certainly re-occur.

Regards,

--
# m

Content of type "text/html" skipped