Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 19:04:02 +0100
From: Lucio Crusca <lucio@...web.org>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: one of my servers has been compromized

Tim wrote:

> For future reference, and for the benefit of people searching for
> solutions to similar problems: You've made the most common rookie
> mistake.

Well, I actually made 2 mistakes and the second compensated the harm the
first did...

My second mistake I did not mention before was to overlook various other
folders in /tmp that were older than /tmp/.m and contained lots of other
crap (so they are even more useful in finding the original attack vector,
being older).

However I did save the original launcher found in /tmp and all that older
stuff too for analisys.

> If you don't have budget to bring in a professional to do the
> investigation, then capturing memory is probably not practical (it is
> easy to do it wrong and trash useful information on disk).

Using dd on /dev/mem and piping results through netcat it's not that
difficult, and a bit of google explains how to do it the right way, but in
my case there are two other problems:

1. The attack took place several days ago and it's likely the system ram has
been overwritten several time since then

2. My server runs in a OpenVZ container (it's a hosted vps)... /dev/mem
exists but it's obviously not accessible.

However I understand your point.