Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 03:37:21 -0800
From: "Zach C." <fxchip@...il.com>
To: Gage Bystrom <themadichib0d@...il.com>
Cc: "full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk" <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Nmap

Yet another note, this one ARP-related: while true that most devices on
your local network will respond to ARP, it's important to note (as the
wording of "almost certain" implies) that it is possible to purposely
suppress ARP responses to all but a few hosts. I know for certain that the
Linux kernel has a module (and associated toolset) specifically for that
sort of thing called arptables, with usage very similar to iptables if
you're already familiar with that.

There's also a tool (again on *nix) called arping, which is ping but with
ARP requests. Device firewalls (or at least Windows's built in firewall)
tend(s) not to block ARP requests or replies, so arping might be able to
show you those firewalled hosts, too. (That doesn't mean those hosts aren't
properly configured to correctly block incoming traffic, however!)

Content of type "text/html" skipped