Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 16:38:05 -0500
From: Benjamin Kreuter <ben.kreuter@...il.com>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Rate Stratfor's Incident Response

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 15:17:07 -0600
Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@...rr.com> wrote:

> --On January 13, 2012 2:03:36 PM -0600 Laurelai
> <laurelai@...echan.org> wrote:
>

> > Well just remember they could have *not* told you and helped
> > themselves to a backdoor. If they wanted to door you they probably
> > wouldn't have told you.
> >

> Which is precisely what he'd like you to think.

So the attacker, hoping to keep his backdoor, will tell you about the
vulnerability he exploited that you were presumably not aware of, and
then hope that the system is not audited?

Of course you are going to audit the system that was attacked.  Not
because you fear the person who reported the problem, but because there
is an exploitable vulnerability that anyone could have exploited.

- -- Ben

> --
> Paul Schmehl, Senior Infosec Analyst
> As if it wasn't already obvious, my opinions
> are my own and not those of my employer.
> "It is as useless to argue with those who have
> renounced the use of reason as to administer
> medication to the dead." Thomas Jefferson
> "There are some ideas so wrong that only a very
> intelligent person could believe in them." George Orwell

- --
Benjamin R Kreuter
UVA Computer Science
brk7bx@...ginia.edu

- --

"If large numbers of people are interested in freedom of speech, there
will be freedom of speech, even if the law forbids it; if public
opinion is sluggish, inconvenient minorities will be persecuted, even
if laws exist to protect them." - George Orwell