Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 09:18:44 -0500
From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader@...il.com>
To: Emanuel Rietveld <codehotter@...il.com>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: ZDI-12-012 : (0Day) McAfee SaaS myCIOScn.dll
 ShowReport Method Remote Command Execution

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 4:33 AM, Emanuel Rietveld <codehotter@...il.com> wrote:
> I might be missing something, but if exploitation of this vulnerability
> requires the ability to instantiate the activeX control and calling a
> method, how is this a vulnerability?
>
> If the user allows arbitrary activeX controls to instantiate and allows
> scripting access, one could simply instantiate WScript.Shell and call
> WScript.Shell.Exec(). The control MyCioScan.Scan is not marked safe by
> default on my system, and attempting to instantiate it gives exactly the
> same security prompts as trying to instantiate WScript.Shell.
What happens under a bad-case scenario when the bad guy controls the
computer and allows it to run? Perhaps he/she gets access to the
computer when the receptionists ask the attacker to sign in for a
meeting, or there's an extra terminal in a conference room, etc.