Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 00:47:28 +0100
From: Ben Bucksch <news@...ksch.org>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: VNC viewers: Clipboard of host automatically
 sent to remote machine

On 25.01.2012 00:09, Dan Kaminsky wrote:
> IP KVM, in which the foreign server basically gets only inbound
> Keyboard and Mouse and outbound uncompressed pixels.

That is *precisely* what VNC is: an open-source IP KVM.

And please don't turn this into "you're stupid", because I've seen
others with the same setup. As mentioned, I know of a government agency
with highly competent IT staff who had a similar setup: normal and
sensitive work is on the desktop/notebook and Internet access (which is
considered insecure) is on a remote machine, with a viewer on the desktop.

To make it clear: I take offense in the copying being *automatic*. I
have nothing against the clipboard feature, per se. But if something
happens automatically, how am I supposed to know that it happens? The
user should make a conscious choice. That thinking would also help him
realize the risk. "Secure by default".