Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 11:55:32 +0300
From: Dan Yefimov <dan@...htwave.net.ru>
To: Ben Bucksch <news@...ksch.org>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: VNC viewers: Clipboard of host automatically
 sent to remote machine

On 25.01.2012 5:45, Ben Bucksch wrote:
> On 25.01.2012 00:52, Henri Salo wrote:
>>> That is *precisely* what VNC is: an open-source IP KVM.
>> What the hell? Seriously..
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VNC
>
> hihi. Thanks.
>
> "It transmits the keyboard and mouse events from one computer to
> another, relaying the graphical screen updates back in the other
> direction, over a network."
> "The VNC protocol (RFB) is very simple, based on one graphic primitive
> from server to client ('Put a rectangle of pixel data at the specified
> X,Y position') and event messages from client to server."
>
> Compare to above.
>
> Now, the part where it defines that clipboard is also a standard part of
> VNC... oh, huch, it's not there! (Just a random note that Unicode is
> impossible, but not that clipboard is defined as part of the protocol at
> all.) Ah, I know... Surely, it must be on
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RFB_protocol>... No, same thing there.
> Strange.

It should be strictly understood that something not being mentioned in the
Wikipedia article doesn't mean that doesn't exist at all, since Wikipedia is
_not_ authoritative information source. The authoritative information source
would be the formal specification of the protocol explicitly defining the set of
event types and explicitly prohibiting non-defined event types, otherwise
implementations are free to define and use their own event types being in fact
extensions of the protocol. It's defined nowhere that VNC is _exactly_
open-source IP KVM and nothing more.

> P.S. I was just reporting bug. I hope at least some software finds a
> better solution. Have fun.

I'd suggest you find alternative product allowing you to explicitly configure
that clipboard is not transmitted to the host under control instead of
struggling with the product limitations and design flaws.
--

Sincerely Yours, Dan.