Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 21:20:42 -0400
From: "b" <b@...isoryalerts.com>
To: "'Thor \(Hammer of God\)'" <thor@...merofgod.com>,
	<full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: PcwRunAs Password Obfuscation Design Flaw

So I guess what I am hearing from you and the other members of the list is
that this problem can pretty much only be solved to provide complete
security* except from physical attacks by having an operating system that is
mathematically proven to do x, y, and z functions and only x, y, and z
functions such that userland code could not ever get system level access to
read arbitrary points in memory; and the operating system would have to
provide a facility to userland programs for secure credential storage and
the OS would enforce only certain programs (verifying using cryptographical
checks that said program is indeed said program) would be able to obtain
those credentials (and only in memory); and in addition to all of that the
decryption key for the secure credential storage mechanism's database would
never be stored on disk and would have to be entered by an administrator on
system bootup?

* I realize some of you may gawk at the use of that term, but I'm not sure
what else to say there for "complete security."

-B