Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 01:18:45 -0400
From: Jason Hellenthal <jhellenthal@...aix.net>
To: "Michael J. Gray" <mgray@...tcode.com>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Google Accounts Security Vulnerability

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 06:29:03PM -0700, Michael J. Gray wrote:
> I’ll clarify a bit.
>

> If you log on to your Google account from the website and it prompts you for
> additional security questions, you can circumvent this by simply checking
> mail via POP or what have you and then it adds your IP address to the list
> of recognized addresses.

I don't know about anyone else, but I use two step verification with
specific application pass phrases that Google so graciously allows you
to do.

With that said... It is the two phase authentication I chose to turn on
due to the fact I have to access my mail through IMAPS.

One thing I think you may be entirely confused with is the "Allow
multiple logins" feature that you can turn off and achieve exactly what
you would expect to happen.

What I don't understand is... You go to your web portal to reset your
password... "you do not know what your password is...!" how on earth
would you login to IMAP, POP whatever...! ?

PS: Besides if someone was able to login to your IMAP I sincerely doubt
accessing your mail by the web will be on any one of the objective
lists. They already have your =INBOX... Do use two phase authentication
and do use application specific passwords for accessing your account.