Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 17:12:43 -0700
From: "Michael J. Gray" <mgray@...tcode.com>
To: <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Google Accounts Security Vulnerability

The point of my article is to specifically show that Google has a system in place which gives the perception of a particular type of security; that is if their password happens to be compromised, that the attack will be limited unless the attacker has very specific knowledge about the user and their account. This being circumvented renders the system useless, especially if it's able to be bypassed on an individual basis as I had described in my article.

Google's idea seems to be that users shouldn't have to keep track of many passwords. But, how does this risk assessment system really help? The way I see it, Google requires you to simply provide other information in addition to a password, which could be seen as passwords themselves. If an account requires two passwords, this just increases the burden on the user. The best solution would be to use two factor authentication. You would want to combine something you know with something you have instead of something you know with something many people probably know. If someone has my password, they probably have my phone number and other information or can manually stop their attack and find the information or compile a list of challenge questions and their appropriate responses.

As far as it being a solution to naïve attacks, sure it probably works fine. However, it's not a difficult task for any serious attacker with a botnet doing the automation.

And for your comment about analyzing it as if it were a replacement... well, it kind of is what Google has done with it. It prompts you for a second password which is based on a variable context. It adds no security but gives the user peace of mind and helps them believe there is added security when there really isn't. That alone could be more harmful than the attackers having to do a simple upgrade.

A more reasonable way to prevent botnet driven attackers with lots of valid credentials would be to use two factor authentication.