Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 17:06:37 -0400
From: Laurelai <laurelai@...echan.org>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Obama Order Sped Up Wave of Cyberattacks
 Against Iran

On 6/10/12 11:29 AM, valdis.kletnieks@...edu wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 08:58:31 +0300, Georgi Guninski said:
>> What about legal windows backdoors (NSA key)?
> It was never confirmed whether the infamous NSAKEY was an actual backdoor, or
> just a hilariously poorly named variable.  In any case, even if it was a
> backdoor, it's certainly not the same "legal" status as CALEA, where Federal
> law said "ISPs Will Provide A Law Enforcement Tap". A lot of universities
> which had just finished positioning themselves as ISPs in order to qualify for
> the 17 USC 512 copyright "safe harbor" provisions, ended up doing a 180 degree
> turn and said "Not An ISP - Private Network" so they wouldn't have to meet the
> CALEA requirements. (An amazing number of .edu's ended up a "private net' for
> CALEA purposes, but kept things in place for the safe harbor stuff as well.
> Fortunately, nobody's ever pushed the issue).
>
> If NSAKEY was a backdoor, it was at best a quasi-legal one, and I'm positive
> that everybody at both Microsoft and the NSA would prefer that their roles in
> the story never came to light.

I am a bit surprised by the direction of this conversation and I have
been waiting for someone to say the obvious in regards to protecting
yourself from .gov malware, it really is quite simple if you think about
it. Stuxnet, duqu, flame, ect.. all only run on windows platforms. If
the people you are protecting are concerned about that kind of malware
(and they should be) it would be a great time to tell them about
GNU/Linux, BSD, ect..

Content of type "text/html" skipped