Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 01:02:47 +0000 (GMT)
From: larry Cashdollar <larry0@...com>
To: full <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Oracle Exadata leaf switch logins

Oracle Exadata leaf switch logins
11/28/2012

From Oracle.com "Oracle Exadata is the only database machine that provides extreme performance for both data warehousing and OLTP applications, making it the ideal platform for consolidating on private clouds. It is a complete package of servers, storage, networking, and software that is massively scalable, secure, and redundant. With Oracle Exadata customers can reduce IT costs through consolidation, store up to ten times more data, improve performance of all applications, deliver a faster time-to-market by eliminating systems integration trial and error, and make better business decisions in real time."

http://www.oracle.com/us/products/database/exadata/overview/index.html

The oracle engineered solution contains two leaf switches and in larger installations a spine switch. The installation I worked with didn't have a spine switch, but the two leaf switches were configured with three logins with easily guessable passwords and a shadow file that was world readable.

There are three accounts with easily guessable default passwords on the exadata inifiniband switches:

ilom-admin,ilom-operator and nm2user.
passwords are same as logins
rux0r:~ meep0$ ssh ilom-admin@....168.0.113 "cat /conf/shadow"

The shadow file is world readable:

[root@...d-1swib2 ~]# ls -l /conf/shadow -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 749 Dec 23 2011 /conf/shadow

Vendor: notified 3/12/2012

Oracle pointed me at a doc stating you should rotate these passwords after installation (as far as I recall these engineer solutions are configured/installed by Oracle professional services onsite.). They also weren't concerned about the lax permissions of /conf/shadow.

Infiniband Switch Document: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19197-01/E26701/E26701.pdf

I don't know of any other Exadata installations where I could verify this Engineered solution is deployed this way by default.

If others can confirm, might be neat to add these login credentials to metasploit.

Larry W. Cashdollar

http://vapid.dhs.org/advisories/oracle_exadata_default_passwd.html

Twitter: @_larry0
Content of type "text/html" skipped