Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 17:19:16 -0500
From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader@...il.com>
To: king cope <isowarez.isowarez.isowarez@...glemail.com>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: MySQL (Linux) Heap Based Overrun PoC Zeroday

On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 10:40 AM, king cope
<isowarez.isowarez.isowarez@...glemail.com> wrote:
> When you look into the heap and stack overrun the first obstacle to
> exploit the bugs is that MySQL does not allow all plain 0 to 255
> characters, this means the exploiter would have to use unicode
> translation in order to exploit the bugs (therefore these are PoCs
> only by now). If the exploiter managed to execute code on default
> installs without your mentioned protections it might be possible to
> circumvent them, to be honest I didn't have a look into these
> optimizations and protections, it's hard enough to exploit it without
> these restrictions applied.
No problem, thanks. Rodrigo pointed out a RO GOT (-z,relro) meant the
GOT would be safe, but other areas were still vulnerable on the heap
overflow. I think I'd take a hardened GOT and make the attacker move
on to the next weak area.

Its really a shame that high risk applications (such as those that
take input from the Internet) are still failing in these ways in 2012.
There's a lot of platform security available (and other hardening
techniques), but folks chose not to use them. It's  disappointing the
various security teams have not improved the situation (they are the
folks who should know, and should take a defensive posture).

Jeff