Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 08:42:14 -0500
From: Travis Biehn <tbiehn@...il.com>
To: COPiOUS <copious@...hmail.com>,
	full-disclosure <Full-Disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Are software cracks also a form of security
	vulnerabilities?

Most licensing systems are toothless except for the ones that offload
critical functionality to external components.
A) A USB Stick that processes encrypted commands issued by the program.
These little things are pretty ingenious, they contain the decryption keys
in the USB stick and the program contains encrypted functions. High cost to
recover the decryption key and get the routines and they work in offline
mode.
B) Program logic is carried out server side. Cost to maintain servers,
program requires persistent internet connection.

Neither of them seem too feasible for a mobile environment, developers have
to assume and account for losses due to piracy just like in any other
medium.

That being said nobody is preventing you from responsibly disclosing
licensing issues to a vendor and recommending a more robust approach. One
such case is if a vendor was to use a license.dat file stored in open
storage, easily copied and shared. You might also warn a vendor with
un-obfuscated binaries which make it excessively easy to bypass validation
routines.

Of course the impetus is on the vendor, as usual, to make a correction. In
the context of licensing the damage is to the IP holder not the consumer.
Outside of the licensing there are a number of areas where an unobfuscated
binary or improper data handling could hurt end-users.

-Travis

--
Twitter <https://twitter.com/tbiehn> |
LinkedIn<http://www.linkedin.com/in/travisbiehn>|