Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 12:49:20 +0100
From: Christian Sciberras <uuf6429@...il.com>
To: Dan Ballance <tzewang.dorje@...il.com>
Cc: Full Disclosure <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: SANS PHP Port Scanner Remote Code Execution

The article actually recommends looking for information from
www.w3schools.com <http://www.w3fools.com>?!

Here's a few other obviously missing things:
- script requires input but does not check for it (very bad PHP practice)
- what the hell is with that code? Ever heard about indentation?
- there should be some very basic sanitization; ints be ints and strings be
strings
- hiding all errors, that was a very smart thing to do....
- early 20's html and css coding style to boot

Regarding the tool itself, obviously it's not meant to be used publicly,
hence why I could close my eye in this respect.

UIlisses, developers already do this. Actually, they've been doing it for
quite some time.
Perhaps the "security experts" writing tutorials as in that article should
follow?

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 11:55 AM, Dan Ballance <tzewang.dorje@...il.com>wrote:

> +1
> On 6 Mar 2013 10:41, "Ulisses Montenegro" <ulisses.montenegro@...il.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Not including proper input validation and error handling in code samples
>> is one of the most common and harmful practices in the software development
>> industry -- doing it is not "optional" or "advanced", it is mandatory
>> unless you want to be pwned.
>>
>> Developers need to start doing things properly from the very beginning,
>> as habits become harder and harder to change with experience.
>>

>> On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 7:33 AM, Benji <me@...ji.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Actually, adding input sanitisation really wouldnt increase the code
>>> size that much. Are you just incompetent?

>> --
>> “If debugging is the process of removing software bugs, then programming
>> must be the process of putting them in.” - *Edsger Dijkstra*

Content of type "text/html" skipped