Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 08:55:08 -0400
From: Justin Elze <formulals1@...il.com>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: My ISP is routing traffic to private
	addresses...

The idea behind private IP space is it doesn't leave the ISPs AS via BGP to
the rest of the internet.

On the topic of routing if you're router doesn't have a directly connected
route or specific route for 172.x.x.x/whatever it will automatically send
information to the default 0.0.0.0 route.

There could be a number of cases where you had private IP space in front of
a router/wap/whatever.

ISPs use prefix lists on their boarder BGP routers to explicitly allow
which ranges get redistributed to the rest of the internet.

On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 7:41 AM, Kirils Solovjovs <
kirils.solovjovs@...ils.com> wrote:

> On 2013.05.18. 10:34, Alexander Georgiev wrote:
>
>> It is sad, that many people don't understand network basics. BTW, your
>> internet router should not forward rfc1918 addresses to the outside,
>> shouldn't he?
>>
> It should. Private address ranges are not marked "magic cows" inside a
> classical router's firmware.
>
> Still the problem OP is experiencing is strange, since if there is a local
> subnet, it should have a priority local route. Why isn't it there?
>
> Btw, I'd be cautious to state that ISP filter incoming packets with
> dst=private. The limitation here would be that private ranges will usually
> be router upstream, so you can't really get past and internet exchange.
>
> --
> Kirils Solovjovs

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments thereto is intended only
for use by the individual or entity to whom it's addressed and may be
proprietary and/or legally privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution or copying of this email, and any attachments thereto, without
the prior written permission of the sender is strictly prohibited.   If you
receive this e-mail in error, please immediately telephone or e-mail the
sender and permanently delete the original copy and any copy of this
e-mail, and any printout thereof.

Content of type "text/html" skipped