Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 01:35:29 -0400
From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader@...il.com>
To: Robert Kugler <robert.kugler10@...il.com>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: PayPal.com XSS Vulnerability

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 12:38 PM, Robert Kugler
<robert.kugler10@...il.com> wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> I'm Robert Kugler a 17 years old German student who's interested in securing
> computer systems.
>
> I would like to warn you that PayPal.com is vulnerable to a Cross-Site
> Scripting vulnerability!
> PayPal Inc. is running a bug bounty program for professional security
> researchers.

> Unfortunately PayPal disqualified me from receiving any bounty payment
> because of being 17 years old...

> I don’t want to allege PayPal a kind of bug bounty cost saving, but it’s not
> the best idea when you're interested in motivated security researchers...
Fortunately Microsoft and Firefox took a more reasonable positions for
the bugs you discovered with their products.

PCWorld and MSN picked up the story:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2039940/paypal-denies-teenager-reward-for-finding-website-bug.html
and  http://now.msn.com/paypal-denies-reward-to-robert-kugler-teen-who-found-bug-in-code.
It is now news worthy to Wikipedia, where it will live forever under
Criticisms (unfortunately, it appears PayPal does a lot of
questionable things so its just one of a long list).

Jeff