Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 16:23:06 -0400
From: Jason Hellenthal <jhellenthal@...aix.net>
To: Curesec Research Team <crt@...esec.com>
Cc: "full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk" <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: OpenSSH User Enumeration Time-Based Attack

Oh your one of the group that's been pounding ports over the last couple months from a block of /28's and /30's ?

Sure do appreciate the kind regard and heads up.

Funny how about a week to two weeks after that ends your report shows up here.

Good going... This is old knowledge and research is still considered unauthorized access to systems not in your control no matter what you call it.

--
 Jason Hellenthal
 JJH48-ARIN

On Jul 10, 2013, at 9:38, Curesec Research Team <crt@...esec.com> wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> today, we will show a bug concerning OpenSSH. OpenSSH is the most used
> remote control software nowadays on *nix like operating systems. Legacy
> claims it replaced unencrypted daemons like rcp, rsh and telnet. Find a
> version at: https://www.openssh.com.
>
> By testing several OpenSSH installations we figured there is a delay of
> time when it comes to cracking users (not) existing on a system. A
> normal Brute-force-Attack tests for the correct user and password
> combination, usually without knowledge if the user on the system exists.
>
> For instance, the attacker is interested in the all-mighty “root” aka
> “toor” account. He might go for password combinations like:
>
> root:root
> root:toor
> root:password
> root:system
>
> and so on. Permanent attacks against the service normally running on
> Port 22/tcp implicate that Ssh-Brute-force-Attacks are still profitable.
> If you are an Auditor and want to check for interesting accounts it
> might be worthy to know which ones are available on the system to run a
> more focused attack.
>
> To assist you in this issue, there is a little trick to find out a User
> name before trying to cracking it. To do this the length of the password
> needs to be increased massively. In our case we go with 39.000
> characters(A’s). Trying those passwords at an existing and a
> non-existing account shows a quite high delay.
>

> Find the rest of the post + some example code at the blogpost.
>
> http://cureblog.de/openssh-user-enumeration-time-based-attack/
>
> Cheers,
> Curesec Research Team

Content of type "text/html" skipped

Download attachment "smime.p7s" of type "application/pkcs7-signature" (2529 bytes)