Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 10:57:21 -0400
From: Pedro Luis Karrasquillo <peter_toyota@...mail.com>
To: Michal Purzynski <michal@...ac.org>
Cc: "full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk" <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: CALEA & Re: XKeyscore

On Mon, 12 Aug 2013 15:42:11 +0200 michal@...ac.org wrote
 "red dots are basically showing places where NSA can intercept    communication. Any communication. Ever heard about radio links?"

This being a XK presentation, one would think that the map was directly related to XK, and not the zillion other ways spooks use to do intercepts.

"Man, you just created a mental loop in what you said. So, two lines     earlier you said Chavez / Putin would not allow them to intercept    communication by means of taping cables and now you are saying that"

Oh noes! CRC error detected. You just had a buffer overflow. Sorry I caused you to loop up. I never said Putin or Chavez would be in a position to agree or disagree with anything. Especially Chavez now that he is fertilizing the sugar cane.  Certainly a CALEA kind of intercept is not the only tool they could use. I just do not think that fiber tapping is the easiest way. It is certainly one of the ways, but getting the info via a backdoor is really much easier where feasible, like in unfriendly states. The backdoor being the CALEA capability.

I really do not care what happens outside our shores, and how the NSA go about their business outside the US. My interest is in figuring how they manage to get the info domestically, and if my experience is something that been observed elsewhere in the US.

"I'm sure mr Putin would be happy to talk    with you and it might be an experience you could brag about all day    and night long. You should definitely call him."
I know, I know, should have gotten that Groupon offer for learning Russian for $49.... I guess I *could* call Venezuela, but who gives a damn about NicMad anyway?

"Cisco architecture is there, like there are many others. And it's    just one of the brands. You just use best means you have for the    situation. And it's accidentally managed by SNMP... so what? It    could be telnet, who cares. These days you just mix and match all the technologies you have for    intercepting. And whenever you can tap the cable, you do it, because it gives you the best bang for the buck."

Exactly my point. Not sure why you all got so worked up about me pointing out that there are easier ways to do this than tap a fiber. Tapping a fiber is a good idea if there is not an easier less intrusive way. The spooks could not care less about money, it is all about getting it done without getting noticed.