Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2013 20:17:29 +0100
From: Fabian Wenk <fabian@...ks.ch>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Slightly OT: What SSL cert do you consider
 strongest?

Hello Jeffrey

On 24.10.2013 10:54, Jeffrey Walton wrote:

> Dr. Bernstein has a good time with DNSSEC in his talks. See, for
> example, Cryptography Worst Practices,
> http://secappdev.org/lectures/144. The entire talk is good, but his
> DNSSEC bashing occurs around 14:40 (min:sec).

I watched a larger part of this video from that point on.

Regarding the forget to re-sign a DNSSEC zone, I would like to
point out that ISC bind 9.9 does support 'inline signing'. This
has the advantage that the zone will be automatically signed upon
reloading of it. Also bind will re-sign the zone as needed during
run time.

Regarding the UDP amplification attack with spoofed source
addresses, since version 9.9.4 ISC bind does have Response Rate
Limiting (RRL) available. But a much better solution would be, if
all ISPs and other network operators of IP ranges would protect
their own networks in such a way that they do drop packets at
their borders, when the source address is not from their own IP
ranges. This would prevent not only the DNSSEC amplification
attack, he was talking about, but also with other DNS requests
and other UDP based public services (e.g. NTP).

bye
Fabian