Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2014 23:13:29 +0100
From: Egidio Romano <research@...mainsecurity.com>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: [CVE-2014-1860] PHP object insertion /
 possible RCE in Contao CMS <= 3.2.4

Hello,

I believe this CVE should be rejected, because the vulnerabilities
actually don't exist, at least the ones mentioned in this report.

The reason is that user input is passed to the unserialize() function
through the Contao Input class, in which the Input::xssClean() method
removes all the NULL bytes from user input, meaning that an attacker can
be able to manipulate only the *public* properties of the injected
objects, because *protected* and *private* properties of a serialized
object are encoded with NULL bytes.

I haven't found any exploitable magic method in Contao which uses only
*public* properties, and the ones mentioned in the original report are
exploitable only through *protected* properties.

Therefore, unless someone provides a working Proof of Concept, I think
these shouldn't be considered actual security vulnerabilities.

Best Ragards,
Egidio Romano

https://github.com/contao/core/commit/8c9cb044bdc887a8202bb65a64545c025664f957

https://github.com/contao/core/commit/1717336598fdcf1ed3f4ad488e140147cb31516d