Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2014 14:30:45 +0100
From: Egidio Romano <research@...mainsecurity.com>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: [CVE-2014-1860] PHP object insertion /
 possible RCE in Contao CMS <= 3.2.4

Hello Mario,

Rest assured, it wasn't my intention to get into a flame war! :)

The thing is that I am one of that kind of people that is called "like
San Tommaso" in Italy. In other words, I'm not able to believe in
something until I can see it with my eyes. Well, now Stefan Esser has
provided a PoC for CVE-2014-1860 [1], proving that I was wrong. Sadly,
I'm just a human being, and as everybody knows, "errare humanum est".

I just hope that now he is happy to have proven to be smarter than me.
On the other hand, just because his PHP exploitation skills are better
than mine, it doesn't necessarily mean he's smarter than me, especially
considering the fact that he is part of the PHP development team.
However, I never thought to be such a smart guy, and very likely he is
actually smarter than me.

So, it seems I need to apologize to Pedro Ribeiro: please accept my
apologies for doubting about the validity of your report. Nevertheless,
if we want to be picky, actually your report is only 33.3% true, since
you reported two deserialize()s called with user input accessed via the
Input::post method (which seems to be not vulnerable), and only one via
the Input::postRaw method, that is what I missed, and this made me
think it wasn't exploitable.

Finally, I really would like to congratulate with Mr. Esser, since he
claims [2] to be aware of this security hole for (who knows how many)
years. However it seems he preferred to keep this as 0-day, instead of
reporting to the Contao team and help to improve the security of an
open source project.