Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2014 10:53:47 -0700
From: "T Imbrahim" <TImbrahim@...hemail.com>
To: "Michal Zalewski" <lcamtuf@...edump.cx>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk, pr0ix@...oo.co.uk
Subject: Re: Fwd: Google vulnerabilities with PoC

Hello,

I am a security professional and risk manager in UAE. I support that the remote file upload on YouTube is a vulnerability, and I am sure about this. Not the slightest doubts...

There is a different between a vulnerability and an exploit. The vulnerability here is the lack of any file extension checks, content type verification “$_FILES['uploadedfile']['type']” holds the value of the MIME type. A hacker can easily upload files using a script that allows the sending or tampering of HTTP POST requests.

e.g:

<?php
 //Demo1.php
 if($_FILES['uploadedfile']['type'] != "image/gif") {
 echo "Sorry, we only allow uploading GIF images";
 exit;
 }
 $uploaddir = 'uploads/';
 $uploadfile = $uploaddir . basename($_FILES['uploadedfile']['name']);
 if (move_uploaded_file($_FILES['uploadedfile']['tmp_name'], $uploadfile)) {
 echo "File is valid, and was successfully uploaded.n";
 } else {
 echo "File uploading failed.n";
 }
 ?>
Read this for more info if you like: http://resources.infosecinstitute.com/file-upload-vulnerabilities/

if not (rwx) and only (w) to a temporary file even, the spread of malware is real no matter if the file is executed at the time is upload.

For the JSON reply:

A hacker exploits a JSON (javascript) object that has information of interest for example holding some values for cookies. A lot of times that exploits the same policy origin. The JSON object returned from a server can be forged over writing javascript function that create the object. This happens because of the same origin policy problem in browsers that cannot say if js execution it different for two different sites.

Sincerely ,
T. Imbrahim