Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 15:38:13 -0700
From: Richard Chycoski <rac@...co.com>
To: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking@...il.com>, Jon Hart <jhart@...ofed.org>,
	fulldisclosure@...lists.org
Subject: Re: [FD] Master Lock random key code generation/distribution Fails

Keycodes on padlocks do not (normally) have the bitting code numbers on
them. The keycodes have no relation to the bitting codes. Master locks
that I've seen certainly don't, and even the cheap locks on our cabinets
in the office do not either.

When I had a set of locks custom-keyed for a previous house, the
locksmith put the bitting code on one key of each time to make it
simpler to set up if/when I needed more keys. I never carried these keys
around, since anyone spotting the bitting code could easily make a copy.
I recommend that people never carry keys with the bitting code on them,
put them away in a safe place.

For my current house I keyed it differently. There is a master key that
opens everything. There is a front-door-outside key that only opens that
one lock, so that if someone (read - some kid :-) ) loses that key I
only have one lock to change. There is an 'inside' key that only opens
the inside deadbolts, and when the house is occupied we leave inside
keys in those locks - and if someone wanders off with one, they're not
useful for getting into the house. For these keys, the locksmith did not
stamp bitting codes on any of them. It depends on the locksmith.

- Richard