Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 02:13:52 -0400
From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader@...il.com>
To: Eric Rand <eric.rand@...wnhatsecurity.com>
Cc: Full Disclosure List <fulldisclosure@...lists.org>
Subject: Re: [FD] Bank of the West security contact?

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 4:42 PM, Eric Rand
<eric.rand@...wnhatsecurity.com> wrote:

> BoA has no incentive to switch, as the customers have not demanded
> more secure ATMs, and it's cheaper to have 'hacking insurance' to
> cover any losses than it would be to replace all their ATMs.
Sad, but true. I doubt they have the hacking insurance, though.

There's a reason US banks suffer losses at a rate of 600x that of a
German bank. For the discussion, see Gutmann's Engineering Security,
page 542 (www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/book.pdf‎).

I'm amazed that the losses get passed onto shared holders, and then
executives give themselves a bonus for a job well done.

Jeff