Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2014 00:59:57 +0200
From: Volker Tanger <vtlists@...e.de>
To: fulldisclosure@...lists.org
Subject: Re: [FD] Legality of Open Source Tools

Greetings!

> I believe Germany passed a law about exploits and/or "security
> tools".    [...]   I *believe* it is taken pretty seriously in
> Germany though.

Of course it's taken seriously here in Germany.
We take EVERYTHING seriously.
;-)

The law (ยง202c StGB) and its application already have been evaluated in
court - after a German computer magazine publisher reported itself for
such an offence (by offering downloads for nmap etc.)

It only is illegal to program, distribute, own, ... programs that are
EXPLICITLY designed to commit a(n actual) criminal offence with it.
Dual-use tools are lacking the law's "designed for an actual crime"
requirement.

Thus the banking-trojan is illegal - the PoC of its infection vector
not, even if it calls the same bank's web page.

According to governmental papers (DRS 17/10379 if 24.07.2012) even the
DDoS tool LOIC is not clearly enough falling under this singular-purpose
requirement and thus usually considered dual-use and thus not illegal.

Having a disclaimer explicitly stating the "for educational or research
purposes only" design won't hurt, though, as it will derail the
exclusively-for-crime requirement - even if only "officially".

Bye

Volker

PS:
IANAL, thus ask your own lawyer, of course.

--

Volker Tanger    http://www.wyae.de/volker.tanger/