Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 17:46:13 -0400
From: Mike Cramer <mike.cramer@...look.com>
To: <fulldisclosure@...e.net>,
	<fulldisclosure@...lists.org>
Subject: Re: [FD] Full disk encryption for OS X alternative to TrueCrypt

You need to ask yourself a question:

How well do you know coding and encryption handling to ensure that your
software doesn't have unintentional back doors and/or information
disclosure? This is a serious question because it requires serious answers
when you're dealing with cryptography. The weakest part of the security
system should not be the application.

What libraries would you use for encryption? If any? I assume you would
leverage AES. Would the library you choose to use support AES-NI? Would you
use the Intel CPU-based PRNG? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RdRand)

I think it's reasonable to assume that the "many eyes" approach to software
security doesn't really work. So simply saying you'll release it as GPL I
don't think should be considered "good enough" anymore when it comes to
encryption. The myriad of flaws in OpenSSL over the years both upstream and
in distributions should be a serious wake-up call on this one.

My recommendation would be to use FileVault/Bitlocker/OS implementations
unless you can come up with a good reason why not to do so.

-Mike