Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 22:35:49 +0100
From: Jan Kechel <jan@...hel.de>
To: Glen Roberts <glen@...rsec.com>
Cc: fulldisclosure@...lists.org, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: [FD] Ignore the amount customers confirm is no security
 vulnerability according to PayPal

On 07/17/2014 09:47 PM, Glen Roberts wrote:
> Just because they deny it does not mean you did not unveil a valid bug. Personally, if a "feature"
like this was really intended, I'd like to see the Paypal documentation
where they highlight the utility and limits of such a function. Since
when did alteration of data and integrity issues cease to be bugs and/or
vulnerabilities?

This PayPal confirmation website is something like a signature for a
bank-transaction.

To me this is like my bank would change the amount in a signed check and
claim it to be a feature and not an inexcusable mistake.

It's even worse because lots of us don't really doublecheck the
transferred amount after a successful PayPal transaction as we of course
assume that PayPal makes sure that the signed amount is not overdrawn.

False transactions cannot only happen with bad intention, but due to the
simplicity of the bug, they can slip in easily as simple BUGs in any
shop-software. So it's likely that many transactions were made with
actually wrong amounts.

Everyone using PayPal is hereby called do doublecheck all PayPal
transactions, and if in doubt, claim back the money from PayPal.

Jan

http://lvps91-250-100-5.dedicated.hosteurope.de:43926/paypal-production-api-1.png

http://lvps91-250-100-5.dedicated.hosteurope.de:43926/paypal-production-api-2.png

http://lvps91-250-100-5.dedicated.hosteurope.de:43926/paypal-production-api-3.png

http://lvps91-250-100-5.dedicated.hosteurope.de:43926/paypal-production-api-4.png

http://lvps91-250-100-5.dedicated.hosteurope.de:43926/paypal-production-api-5.png

http://lvps91-250-100-5.dedicated.hosteurope.de:43926/paypal-proposed-fix.png

> best regards,
>
> Jan Kechel
>

> --
>
> Glen Roberts
> Principal Consultant
> Charlotte Cybersecurity, Inc.
> (980) 328-5797

- --
publictimestamp.org/ptb/PTB-21147 whirlpool2 2014-07-17 18:01:46
0DEB1D6AFEF51133863F6F3DAF9DC7ED4BB5AA51A417CA0160483FA3A4C8FCB69ECBDA
D0E0FCE8018F2E9F5226FD52D912724883B6700D5D11553B5C5E0FCF26