Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2015 09:19:34 +0100
From: Gsunde Orangen <gsunde.orangen@...il.com>
To: fulldisclosure@...lists.org, oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [FD] Java 8u40 released: why?

I'd be interested in that, too.
In case this out-of-band release is about an important security fix,
then either this is something new (details still to be disclosed).
Or it is associated with CVE-2014-6593 (e.g. incomplete or buggy fix in
the January release)? The detais (named as "SKIP-TLS") had been
disclosed just this week along with the "FREAK" attack (see
https://www.smacktls.com/#skip). Former descriptions of CVE-2014-6593
only indicated a failure to properly check the ChangeCipherSpec in the
TLS connection handshake; but apparently - esp. on client side - much
more could go wrong in former JSSE implemenations.

Maybe someone involved in openJDK could tell more...

Gsunde