Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2015 09:15:45 +0200
From: Luis 'Pope' Gómez <pope@...e.es>
To: David Longenecker <david@...urityforrealpeople.com>
Cc: fulldisclosure@...lists.org
Subject: Re: [FD] An iOS oversight: exploiting device trust and backups

You make an interesting point here, David.

About this topic, I would recommend this brilliant paper by Mr. Zdziarski:
http://www.zdziarski.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Zdziarski-iOS-DI-2014.pdf

I proposed a software solution to apply various mitigations in jailbroken
devices; including: deleting the pairing records (so that your iOS device
will not continue trusting other comptuers) and disabling a number of
services (for instance: if I never backup my iOS device to iTunes, I can
disable that service so that nobody will be able to backup my device to ANY
iTunes).

We presented a poster about this in the latest DFRWS conference (
http://www.pope.es/files/DFRWS-2015-Pope.pdf). A paper on the topic has
been accepted for publication at
http://wpage.unina.it/ficco/SecureSysComm2015/home.html, and after the
conference we will be releasing the software.

Regards

Pope