Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2018 21:36:40 -0500
From: InterN0T via Fulldisclosure <fulldisclosure@...lists.org>
To: Ben Tasker <ben@...tasker.co.uk>
Cc: Vulnerability Lab <research@...nerability-lab.com>,
 Full Disclosure List <fulldisclosure@...lists.org>
Subject: Re: [FD] Banknotes Misproduction security & biometric weakness

Exactly how many people are using these banknotes for "fake fingerprints" with their phone?

The reason why you use your own fingerprint, and not a standardized hologram fingerprint from a Euro bank note, is so that only your fingerprint can unlock your phone for example.

This whole advisory seems like one big troll.

For example this:
--
5. [Truncated] An agent could for example save data variables in the biometric sign of the banknote to exfiltrate information.

Note: Yeah they could also embed secret information anywhere else in the bank note, for example the micro-text, UV text, or probably even INSIDE the bank note.
--

A lot of fingerprint readers are pretty bad and imperfect by design too.

Mythbusters Fingerprint Bypass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Hji3kp_i9k
Note: Look at the end where they used a photocopy on a piece of paper to bypass that particular lock.

German Fingerprint Hack:
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/dec/30/hacker-fakes-german-ministers-fingerprints-using-photos-of-her-hands

Master Fingerprints Hack:
https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/791055/smartphone-fingerprint-scanner-hacked-criminals-scan-data