Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2020 15:59:39 +0100
From: Thierry Zoller <thierry@...ler.lu>
To: fulldisclosure@...lists.org, submissions@...ketstormsecurity.com,
 bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Cc: Juergen Schmidt <ju@...de>, "soc@...cert.gov" <soc@...cert.gov>,
 info@...cl.lu
Subject: [FD] [TZO-15-2020] - F-SECURE Generic Malformed Container bypass
	(RAR)

                 From the low-hanging-fruit-department
	    F-SECURE Generic Malformed Container bypass (RAR)

Ref             : [TZO-15-2020] - F-SECURE Generic Malformed Container
bypass (RAR)
Vendor          : F-SECURE
Status          : Patched
CVE             : none provided
Blog            :
https://blog.zoller.lu/p/tzo-15-2020-f-secure-generic-malformed.html
Vulnerability Dislosure Policy: https://caravelahq.com/b/policy/20949

Affected Products
=================
F-Secure Email and Server Security
F-Secure Internet GateKeeper
F-SECURE CLOUD PROTECTION FOR SALESFORCE

Linux below  17.0.605.474

I. Background
----------------------------
Quote: "Unprecedented challenges threaten to undermine the very survival
of society. Only unprecedented innovation can prevent irreversible
disasters. This is only possible if we trust the technology that can
bring us together.

 From our humble beginnings more than thirty years ago, F-Secure has
grown into a reliable cyber security leader, earning the trust of
organizations and people around the world."

II. Description
----------------------------
The parsing engine supports the RAR Archive. The parsing engine can be
bypassed by specifically manipulating a RAR archive.

III. Impact
----------------------------
Impacts depends on the contextual use of the product and engine within
the organisation of a customer. Gateway Products (Email, HTTP Proxy etc)
may allow the file through unscanned
and give it a clean bill of health. Server side AV software will not be
able to discover any code or sample contained within this ISO file and
it will not raise suspicion even if you know exactly what you are
looking for (Which is for example great to hide your implants
or Exfiltration/Pivot Server).

There is a lot more to be said about this bug class, so rather than bore
you with it in
this advisory I provide a link to my 2009 blog post
http://blog.zoller.lu/2009/04/case-for-av-bypassesevasions.html

IV. Patch / Advisory
- For the unix version (IGK) the fix was released on 20th January with
library version 17.0.605.474
- For Windows the version was already out in December 2019. There were
also avira's fixes as well.

"We can conclude that January 20th date, since that is when the final
fixes went out to production."

V. Disclosure timeline