Date: Fri, 29 May 2020 13:50:32 +0200
From: Thierry Zoller <thierry@...ler.lu>
To: fulldisclosure@...lists.org
Subject: [FD] [CDPWE-0001] - RocketReach

Adapting the Mechanics of Vulnerability Disclosure to an area where
Privacy Rights need to be scrutinized and where transparency becomes
paramount.

How to effectively evade the GDPR and the reach of the DPA (CDPWE-0001)

Company : Rocketreach
Status  : DPA does not pursue any further
CDPWE   : CDPWE-0001 - Does not designate a Representative in the
European Union
URL     :
https://blog.zoller.lu/2020/05/how-to-effectively-evade-gdpr-and-reach.html
Vulnerability Disclosure Policy: https://caravelahq.com/b/policy/20949

I. Background
----------------
RocketReach is selling access to millions of European Data Subjects
without recognising it is a Data Controller, without a representative
in the EU (ART.27) and with a questionable legal basis for processing.

II. Impact
----------------------------
Companies around the World can Process and sell Information about
European data subjects without that the DPA sanctions them for doing
so by simply not designating a EU Representative accourding to Art.27 of
the GDPR.

Note: That representative would be held accountable, without it the CNPD
(LUX DPA) argues that their is no way for them to proceed.

https://www.privacy-regulation.eu/en/article-27-representatives-of-controllers-or-processors-not-established-in-the-union-GDPR.htm

III. Advisory
----------------------------
If your data is also included in Rocketreach (just search on their
website), then file a complain with your local DPA (it's usually very
easy and fast) .

V. Timeline

5th of April  2019 - Issued a DSAR to RocketReach
5th of April  2019 - Rocketreach responds by deleteing my data
5th of April  2019 - File a complain via my national DPA (CNPD)
6th of March  2020 - The CNPD agrees with my position but claims to not
be able to pursue further.
See:
https://blog.zoller.lu/2020/05/how-to-effectively-evade-gdpr-and-reach.html