Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 15:15:15 -0000 (UTC)
From: Tavis Ormandy <taviso@...il.com>
To: fulldisclosure@...lists.org
Subject: Re: [FD] Defense in depth -- the Microsoft way (part 80): 25 (in
 words: TWENTY-FIVE) year old TRIVIAL bug crashes CMD.exe

On 2022-05-10, Stefan Kanthak wrote:
>| Their reasoning centers around the requirement to have admin
>| privileges to pull off the attack.
>
>     OUCH! Unprivileged users can but write this registry entry below
>           [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor]

They're explaining that you need privileges to attack *other* users. I don't
think anyone is disputing you can "attack" yourself.

I know, I know - we've had this discussion before, and nothing will
convince you that this isn't a vulnerability :)

Tavis.

--
 _o)            $ lynx lock.cmpxchg8b.com
 /\\  _o)  _o)  $ finger taviso@....org