Date:	Wed, 22 Nov 2006 13:53:48 -0800
From:	Avantika Mathur <mathur@...ibm.com>
To:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Ext4 devel interlock meeting minutes (Nov. 22 2006)

Ext4 Developer Interlock Call: 11/22/06 minutes

Attendees: Mingming Cao, Eric Sandeen, Suparna Bhattacharya, Takashi Sato, Jean-Pierre Dion, Valérie Clément, Avantika Mathur

- Online Defrag:
 -- Last week we determined that ioctl was the preferred
interface for the online defrag.
 -- Eric will send out an ovreview of the steps completed by XFS for file defragmentation.
 -- Last week Eric said that in XFS defrag implementation, you can't defrag a file that is open/being written to.  This was an incorrect assumption. There will be more explanation in his mail.

- Preallocation:
 -- We need to decide which interface to use in the implementation
   * ioctl: simple solution preferred method for defrag and user in reservation
   * posix_fallocate: writes zero to the first byte of every block; probably preferred solution
   * ftruncate: consistency across platforms may be an issue
 -- Possible parameters that would be used for preallocation would be file descriptor, number of blocks, and offset within file where blocks will be preallocated (if defrag and preallocation are implemented together
 -- Suparna will send an email detailing all of the options, and some thoughts on implementation details to the list.
 -- Eric will send details on XFS's preallocation implementation to the list
 -- Multiple block allocation patches will be used in preallocation implementation

- Features we'd like to see in Ext4 before code freeze:
 -- online defragmentation
 -- multiple block allocation
 -- big block group: Valerie has ported this to 2.6.19-rc6 and will send patches to the list tomorrow, and put updated e2fsprogs patches on Bull web site.
 -- large inode default for ext4
 -- large file support: Current max file size is 2 TB. Increase limit to 16 TB by changing i_block ( patches have been sent by Takashi), then increase to more than 16 TB.  Changing the i_block to break 2TB limit may cause some application to break.

- We would like to document all features for Ext4 and sort dependencies and priorities on the mailing list.