Date:	Fri, 18 May 2007 19:55:00 +0530
From:	"Aneesh Kumar K.V" <aneesh.kumar@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>
To:	Dave Kleikamp <shaggy@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>
CC:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Ext4 Patch Queue using stgit.

Dave Kleikamp wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-05-18 at 18:12 +0530, Aneesh Kumar K.V wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I was looking at ext4 patch queue and was wondering why we are  putting
>> .patch under git. If we are looking for a quilt like functionality, one
>> can achieve the same using stgit. I was using stgit to maintain a set of
>> patches before. So if you look at
>>
>> http://git.openssi.org/~kvaneesh/gitweb.cgi?p=ci-to-linus.git;a=summary
>>
>> you will see the patches i was working on with linus tree as from-linus.
>> Now to find out what changes were made to these patches during the
>> development one can look at the tracking branch. In the above case the
>> latest tracking branch was 2.6.20-rc1-ci-to-linus
>>
>> http://git.openssi.org/~kvaneesh/gitweb.cgi?h=2.6.20-rc1-ci-to-linus;p=ci-to-linus.git;a=shortlog
>>
>> Other tracking branches at different development stages can be found at
>> http://git.openssi.org/~kvaneesh/gitweb.cgi?p=ci-to-linus.git;a=heads
>>

>> This make looking at the diff much easier. diff of .patch does seems to
>> be useful.
>
> Does _not_ seem to be useful?

yes. that was a typo

> I agree that I find the current setup a little awkward.  The git tree
> isn't something we can point Andrew or Linus to.  It has to be extracted
> to another place for that.  We really should have some of these patches
> in mainline by now, and that's not getting done.
>
> I haven't looked at stgit, so I don't have an opinion on using it as an
> alternative, but I'm open to the idea.
>
>> Only problem i can think of is how multiple people will push to the same
>> repo.
>
> If we continue to host on repo.or.cz, Ted can allow anyone he wants to
> push to the tree.

The problem is stgit management of git repo is local to the user. That
means the stgit commands like push, pop and refresh works on local repo.
  I am not sure how easily this mode of operation can be replicated
across different user. There will be a slight overhead on each developer
side when somebody else does a git push and later the developer does a
pull. He/she will have to update the patcheset that is being managed by
stgit by hand.

-aneesh