Date:	Fri, 06 Jul 2007 14:33:05 -0700
From:	Mike Waychison <mikew@...gle.com>
To:	Badari Pulavarty <pbadari@...il.com>
CC:	cmm@...ibm.com, Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>,
	"Theodore Ts'o" <tytso@....edu>,
	Andreas Dilger <adilger@...sterfs.com>,
	Sreenivasa Busam <sreenivasac@...gle.com>,
	"linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org" <linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: fallocate support for bitmap-based files

Badari Pulavarty wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-06-30 at 10:13 -0400, Mingming Cao wrote:
>> On Fri, 2007-06-29 at 13:01 -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
>>> Guys, Mike and Sreenivasa at google are looking into implementing
>>> fallocate() on ext2.  Of course, any such implementation could and should
>>> also be portable to ext3 and ext4 bitmapped files.
>>>
>>> I believe that Sreenivasa will mainly be doing the implementation work.
>>>

>>> The basic plan is as follows:
>>>
>>> - Create (with tune2fs and mke2fs) a hidden file using one of the
>>>   reserved inode numbers.  That file will be sized to have one bit for each
>>>   block in the partition.  Let's call this the "unwritten block file".
>>>
>>>   The unwritten block file will be initialised with all-zeroes
>>>
>>> - at fallocate()-time, allocate the blocks to the user's file (in some
>>>   yet-to-be-determined fashion) and, for each one which is uninitialised,
>>>   set its bit in the unwritten block file.  The set bit means "this block
>>>   is uninitialised and needs to be zeroed out on read".
>>>
>>> - truncate() would need to clear out set-bits in the unwritten blocks file.
>>>
>>> - When the fs comes to read a block from disk, it will need to consult
>>>   the unwritten blocks file to see if that block should be zeroed by the
>>>   CPU.
>>>
>>> - When the unwritten-block is written to, its bit in the unwritten blocks
>>>   file gets zeroed.
>>>
>>> - An obvious efficiency concern: if a user file has no unwritten blocks
>>>   in it, we don't need to consult the unwritten blocks file.
>>>
>>>   Need to work out how to do this.  An obvious solution would be to have
>>>   a number-of-unwritten-blocks counter in the inode.  But do we have space
>>>   for that?
>>>
>>>   (I expect google and others would prefer that the on-disk format be
>>>   compatible with legacy ext2!)
>>>
>>> - One concern is the following scenario:
>>>
>>>   - Mount fs with "new" kernel, fallocate() some blocks to a file.
>>>
>>>   - Now, mount the fs under "old" kernel (which doesn't understand the
>>>     unwritten blocks file).
>>>
>>>     - This kernel will be able to read uninitialised data from that
>>>       fallocated-to file, which is a security concern.
>>>
>>>   - Now, the "old" kernel writes some data to a fallocated block.  But
>>>     this kernel doesn't know that it needs to clear that block's flag in
>>>     the unwritten blocks file!
>>>
>>>   - Now mount that fs under the "new" kernel and try to read that file.
>>>      The flag for the block is set, so this kernel will still zero out the
>>>     data on a read, thus corrupting the user's data
>>>
>>>   So how to fix this?  Perhaps with a per-inode flag indicating "this
>>>   inode has unwritten blocks".  But to fix this problem, we'd require that
>>>   the "old" kernel clear out that flag.
>>>
>>>   Can anyone propose a solution to this?
>>>
>>>   Ah, I can!  Use the compatibility flags in such a way as to prevent the
>>>   "old" kernel from mounting this filesystem at all.  To mount this fs
>>>   under an "old" kernel the user will need to run some tool which will
>>>
>>>   - read the unwritten blocks file

> [...]

One downside of moving this data over to a backing inode is that we lose
the benefit of making large pre allocations following by a series of
random writes that result in in-ordered data on disk.  I presume we'd be
scanning the backing inode for free data blocks?

Unless of course if we make the backing inode be an effective 'negative'
of the holes in the actual inode.  Each hole introduced in the actual
inode would have it's backing inode have actual storage at the same
logical block offsets.

Another problem I can think of with this approach is that we'd have
difficult reclaiming the metadata indirect blocks from the backing inode
efficiently.  So if a user went and pre-allocated say 1GB of disk space
for a file, we'd end up with the ~%0.1 metadata overhead doubled until
we see the i_blocks for the backing inode hit zero (meaning all
pre-allocated blocks were dirtied and backing inode can be freed).  May
not be an issue in the real world..

Mike Waychison