Date:	Mon, 29 Oct 2007 16:29:07 -0600
From:	Andreas Dilger <adilger@....com>
To:	Mark Fasheh <mark.fasheh@...cle.com>,
	linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org, David Chinner <dgc@....com>,
	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org, xfs@....sgi.com, hch@...radead.org,
	Anton Altaparmakov <aia21@....ac.uk>,
	Mike Waychison <mikew@...gle.com>, ocfs2-devel@....oracle.com
Subject: Re: [RFC] add FIEMAP ioctl to efficiently map file allocation

On Oct 29, 2007  16:13 -0600, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> On Oct 29, 2007  13:57 -0700, Mark Fasheh wrote:
> > I'm a little bit confused by fe_offset. Is it a physical offset, or a
> > logical offset? The reason I ask is that your description above says "FIEMAP
> > ioctl will return the logical to physical mapping for the extent that
> > contains the specified logical byte address." Which seems to imply physical,
> > but your math to get to the next logical start in a very fragmented file,
> > implies that fe_offset is a logical offset:
> >
> >        fm_start = fm_extents[fm_extent_count - 1].fe_offset +
> >                          fm_extents[fm_extent_count - 1].fe_length + 1;
>
> Note the distinction between "fe_offset" (which is a physical offset for
> a single extent) and "fm_offset" (which is a logical offset for that file).

Actually, that is completely bunk.  What it should say is something like:
"filefrag can easily call the FIEMAP ioctls repeatedly using the returned
fm_start and fm_length as the start offset for the next ioctl:

        fiemap.fm_start = fiemap.fm_start + fiemap.fm_length + 1;

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger
Sr. Software Engineer, Lustre Group