Date:	Tue, 04 Mar 2008 17:22:17 -0700
From:	Andreas Dilger <adilger@....com>
To:	Hein_Tibosch <hein_tibosch@...oo.es>
Cc:	James Stewart <jstewart@...adici.com>, linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Ext2 - ext3 unstable under 2.6.24: now solved (?)

On Mar 05, 2008  03:42 +0800, Hein_Tibosch wrote:
> Could someone please check the following?
>
> The ext2 and ext3 filesystems of 2.6.24 show many Oops and hangups. After
> debugging I found the following common cause:
>
> In a new 2.6.24 function an unwanted sign-extension takes place in:
>
> fs/ext2/dir.c
>
> static inline unsigned ext2_rec_len_from_disk(__le16 dlen)
> {
>   unsigned len = le16_to_cpu(dlen);
>
>   if (len == EXT2_MAX_REC_LEN)
>       return 1 << 16;
>   return len;
> }
>
> include/ext3_fs.h :
>
> static inline unsigned ext3_rec_len_from_disk(__le16 dlen)
> {
>    unsigned len = le16_to_cpu(dlen);
>
>    if (len == EXT3_MAX_REC_LEN)
>        return 1 << 16;
>    return len;
> }
>
> 00A0 will be returned as 0xFFFFA000 !!

Presumably this is a big-endian architecture?  It would appear to be a bug
in the le16_to_cpu() code rather than the functions above, since they are
always using an unsigned variable.

I suppose it would be possible to mask off the returned value, but this
seems like it is fixing the problem at the wrong level:

	return (len & 0xffffU);

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger