Date:	Thu, 22 May 2008 10:21:57 -0500
From:	Eric Sandeen <sandeen@...hat.com>
To:	Nathan Roberts <nroberts@...oo-inc.com>
CC:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Storing inodes in a separate block device?

Nathan Roberts wrote:
> Has a feature ever been considered (or already exist) for storing inodes
> in a block device separate from the data? Is it even a "reasonable"
> thing to do or are there major pitfalls that one would run into?

XFS has such a thing, although it evolved for slightly different
reasons.  The "realtime subvolume" is a data-only volume, with all
metadata on the main block device.  It also has some different allocator
characteristics.  In practice I don't think it's been used much in the
field on Linux, but ISTR some people have had good luck for some workloads.

> The rationale behind this question comes from use cases where a file
> system is storing very large numbers of files. Reading files in these
> file systems will essentially incur at least two seeks: one for the
> inode, one for the data blocks. If the seek to the inode were more
> efficient, dramatic performance gains could be achieved for such use cases.
>
> Fast seeking devices (such as flash based devices) are becoming much
> more mainstream these days and would seem like a reasonable device for
> the inodes. The $/GB is not as good as disks but it's much better than
> DRAM. For many use cases, the number of these "fast access" inodes that
> would need to be cached in RAM is near 0. So, RAM savings are also a
> potential benefit.

One downside may be flash wear; in a hand-wavy way I could imagine that
data blocks may change less often than metadata in many use casees
(think atimes, directory updates and whatnot).  Just a thought.

> I've ran some basic tests using ext4 on a SATA array plus a USB thumb
> drive for the inodes. Even with the slowness of a thumb drive, I was
> able to see encouraging results ( >50% read throughput improvement for a
> mixture of 4K-8K files).

How'd you test this, do you have a patch?  Sounds interesting.

Thanks,
-Eric